Monday, August 2, 2010

Bank Holiday!

It has been awhile since I've posted. . During the month of August, I have been really taking advantage of my time. Let's see....

Since my last post, I think the highlight was the bank holiday weekend at the beginning of August. No one seems to know what bank holidays are, but we all get a day off work so no one complains. It seems that people don't usually travel the way that we Americans do on our 3-day weekends; the locals seem to enjoy just taking time to relax.

The weekend started with a trip to the bars in Cork to celebrate a co-worker's maternity leave (this was her idea), and to welcome me and another American who was visiting for just the week. Numerous beers were had, possibly too many, and I haven't had a wild night out since.

Bank Holiday weekend also was a visit to West Cork, to Clonakilty, which is home to a brand of black pudding, and more importantly, Michael Collins, a (rebel, according to the English) leader for Irish independence in the 1920s. Clon has a beautiful beach just outside it.



To finish the long weekend I went sea kayaking around Old Head and near Kinsale (but I didn't bring a camera!) Around the coast, there are lots of small caves, which are smelly but impressive. I saw jellyfish, anemonies, and maybe a crab or two. Nothing very exotic, but a great introduction to what's in the water around me. The course was part of a certification program, so we had to show proficiency at certain skills such as water rescue. So, I got my first taste (and feel) of the Atlantic Ocean in Ireland! Freezing!



A taste of the West Cork coastline at Inchydoney beach


Another common site in West Cork; stone cirles like this one in Drombeg

No comments:

Post a Comment