Tuesday, July 13, 2010

A Few Words on Irish Auto Repair

After my adventurous Sunday becoming familiar with the doughnut and car jack in my rental Toyota during my maiden sightseeing voyage, I have gotten my car repaired. My coworkers had lots of comments on Monday, thankfully no one making fun of me for getting into car trouble early. Here's a summary of what I've learned about cars in Ireland over the past 48 hrs:

1. A 'tire' is actually a 'tyre'
2. a 'flat tire' is referred to as a 'punctured tyre'. If you're talking with someone from Co. Cork, this sounds like 'punk't tire'.
3. The terrible shape of the roads is a common discussion point. It was apparently a bad winter; there are numerous potholes, and even the plant newsletter has requested certain roads be avoided out of respect for the neighboring residents
4. If you do have to replace a tire, it will run you approx €75, and it's not necessary to replace the full set just because one is bad.
5. Because of the terrible roads, flat tires are common. Getting a flat tire after 3 days of driving in Ireland means that I'm getting something out of the way that was bound to happen eventually, or
6. Getting a flat tire after 3 days of driving in Ireland has me prepared to weather the next 6 months.
7. John O'Leary Auto Service is the closest garage to the Lilly plant in Ballyregan, Kinsale, 021-4775590. Note to self for future reference.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm, somehow i don't think i could manage this part of irish life

    ReplyDelete